Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS
Foundation Trust was established on 1st January 2009 after being
authorised by Monitor. Up until then it was known as Central
Manchester and Manchester Children's University Hospitals Trust
which was founded on 1st April 2001. It brought together Central
Manchester Healthcare NHS Trust and the Manchester Children's
Hospitals NHS Trust following a period of public consultation and
the final decision by the Secretary of State. It comprises the
following hospitals who were established as follows:
- 1752 - Manchester
- 1790 - Saint Mary's
- 1814 - Manchester Royal Eye
- 1829 - Royal Manchester
Children's Hospital (relocated following the opening of the new
Royal Manchester Children's Hospital - June 2009)
- 1853 - Altrincham
- 1884 - The University
Dental Hospital of Manchester
- 1915 - Booth Hall
Children's Hospital (now closed following the opening of the
new Royal Manchester Children's Hospital - June 2009)
- 1928 - Trafford General
On 1st April 2012 the organisation welcomed the hospitals which
were previously under the management of Trafford Healthcare NHS
Trust. These included: Trafford General; Altrincham
Hospital and Stretford Memorial.
Royal Visits over the Years
Over the years we have been honoured by many Royal Visits, the
first being on 6th July 1909 when King Edward VII opened the newly
building Manchester Royal Infirmary building on Oxford Road and the
most recent being the official opening of the new hospitals on the
Oxford Road site on 23rd March 2012.
to see a brief timeline.
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Manchester Royal Infirmary was founded in 1752 in a small
12-bedded house in the city centre (pictured). We are now a
large teaching hospital for Manchester University's Medical School
and a specialist regional centre for kidney and pancreas
transplants, cardiology and cardiothoracic surgery. The MRI has
boasted many medical breakthroughs, the most recent last year when
we were the first hospital in the UK to undertake 4,000 kidney
transplants and the first to have undertaken 1,000 cochlear
implants. For a more detailed (print version) history of
Manchester Royal Infirmary click
Saint Mary's Hospital
Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in
1790 and, over the years, has successfully developed a wide range
of world class medical services for women, babies and children as
well as a comprehensive Genetics Centre.
The staff at Saint Mary's now deliver
over 7,000 babies each year. Over 1,000 staff work at the
hospital and provide the highest standards of care in:
Obstetrics/Maternity; Gynaecology; Genetics and Newborn Intensive
Care. Click here
for a more detailed (print version) history.
Pictured: Saint Mary's Hospital on
Hathersage Road 1970-2009
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital
The Manchester Royal Eye Hospital was established in 1814 and is
now one of the largest teaching eye hospitals in Europe and one of
only two dedicated eye hospitals in the country. Globally
acknowledged as a centre of excellence, the Eye Hospital is
renowned for its pioneering work in all aspects of ophthalmology,
including the Emergency Eye Centre, Acute Referral Centre,
Ophthalmic Imaging, Ultrasound Unit, Electrodiagnosis, Laser Unit,
Optometry, Orthoptics, Manchester Eye Bank and Ocular
Click here for a more
detailed (print version) history.
Royal Manchester Children's Hospital
The Hospital at Pendlebury was the
first in the UK to treat only children when it opened in 1829. By
1852, the Hospital was receiving so many patients, it was necessary
to amass donations to move to a larger building, enabling the Royal
at Pendlebury to care for at least 7,000 patients a year.
In the first century after opening,
the Hospital at Pendlebury treated in excess of 80,000 patients.
Locating the dispensary onsite allowed hospital staff to give
patients quick access to the medical care they needed, and
prevented the onset of disease by distributing information on
hygiene and health.
Through its commitment to stalling the
onset of disease, Pendlebury became recognised in 1924 as the
leading institute for nursing training - trainee nurses all had to
gain certification attained only by being taught at the facility at
Pendlebury. Click here
for a more detailed (print version) history.
The Dental Hospital was founded in 1883 to serve the dental side
of the medical school by allowing staff and students to attend to
patients unable to pay for private dental treatment.
The passing of the 1878 Dental Act had introduced a new Register
for Licensed Dentists and once the Royal College of Surgeons gave
the new hospital formal recognition as a teaching site in 1884,
students began to seek instruction. As for patients, the hospital's
governing body decided to open the Hospital's treatment rooms three
evenings a week for the working poor who would otherwise lose wages
if attending in day-time. This scheme (which was never adopted in
any ordinary hospital) proved a roaring success, and by 1887 the
Hospital was treating more than 10,000 patients per year, the great
majority during the evenings. Click here for
a more detailed (print version) history.
Booth Hall Hospital
1851 was a significant year for the
city because not only was it the year that Humphrey Booth was born,
but with it a caring nature that has passed through generations
which has turned Booth Hall Hospital into one of the most talked
about children's hospitals in the country.
Booth bought a piece of land in
Blackley before 1907, when the building was demolished to make way
for the new Hospital. The infirmary opened in 1908.
Click here for a
full (print version) history of Booth Hall Children's
Trafford Hospitals provides a wide range of district general
hospital services to a population of over 200,000 in the borough of
Trafford, west of Manchester, from three locations:
Trafford General Hospital was officially opened as Park Hospital
Davyhulme in 1929 and became the first NHS hospital when it was
opened in 1948 by Aneurin Bevan.
History of the Trust
On 1st April 1991 - Manchester Central Hospitals
and Community Care NHS Trust became a first wave Trust. We
comprised: Manchester Royal Infirrmary, Saint Mary's,
Manchester Royal Eye Hospital, Dental Hospital, Barnes Hospital and
associated community services.
At the end of 1992 we changed our name to: Central
Manchester Healthcare Trust
In 2001 we merged with Manchester Children's
Hospitals NHS Trust to become Central Manchester and
Manchester Children's University Hospitals NHS
Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust was
established on 1st January 2009 after being authorised by Monitor
as a Foundation Trust.