The Hathersage backs National HIV Testing Week
The Hathersage Sexual Health, Contraception &
HIV Service (Manchester Royal Infirmary) is supporting National HIV
Testing Week 2016 (NHTW 2016) which is taking place from 19th -
NHTW 2016 is the fifth annual testing week to promote HIV
testing to gay and bisexual men and black African men and
The key aims of NHTW 2016 are:
- To increase testing among at risk groups
- To increase awareness and acceptability of HIV testing for at
- To increase access to HIV testing for at risk groups
- To improve early diagnosis and treatment of HIV to help reduce
Advice for those who fall within the high risk groups:
- Test at least once a year
- Take HIV medication if you're living with HIV
- Protect yourself and others
- Tell your friends how - together with protection - testing and
treatment can save thousands of us from getting HIV.
During NHTW 2016, the team based at The Hathersage is offering
extended outreach HIV testing to groups most at risk.
- On Monday 21st November at LGBT Foundation The
Hathersage provided a rapid HIV testing clinic from 10.30am to
- On Wednesday 23rd November, the third annual
Hathersage staff bake-off is being held, with the proceeds going to
local charities supporting people living with HIV
- On World Aids Day, Thursday 1st December - The
Hathersage will provide rapid HIV testing from G-A-Y, from 12 noon
to 6pm. Follow and support this event on Twitter with @JeremyJoseph and @TheHathersage.
- The Hathersage team will also be supporting the CMFT Equality
and Diversity and LGBT teams, hosting stalls within the main atrium
The Hathersage Centre is located at Manchester Royal Infirmary.
It offers free and confidential HIV testing. Opening
times for the walk-in service are 8am, 12 noon and 3.30pm, Monday
to Thursday and 8am and 12 noon on Fridays.
To find out more about the importance of HIV testing visit, go
to It Starts With Me.
See Prince Harry getting tested for HIV.