We use cookies to help us improve the website and your experience using it. You may delete and block all cookies from this site at any time. However, please note this may result in parts of the site no longer working correctly. If you continue without changing your settings we will assume you are happy to receive all cookies on this site.


Comments, Compliments, Concerns and Complaints

Our staff will do everything they can do to ensure that you receive the highest standard of experience of our services. We continually strive to improve the quality of care that we provide and as such we are always interested to hear your views.

It is always good to receive positive comments about our staff or our services that shows the dedication of our staff to deliver high standards of care. If you are pleased with your experiences, please let us know and we will pass on your compliments to the staff in the areas concerned.

We also encourage our patients and visitors to comment on any aspect of your experience that would have improved your experience of our services.

There are a number of ways that you can tell us what you think.

FFT: Friends and Family Test

The friends and family test is a way of gathering feedback from people who use NHS services about their experience. The test asks you if you would recommend our services to friends and family if they needed similar care or treatment.

How can I take the test?

Completing the test is easy there are a number of options available to you:

  • A paper form, available from staff in Emergency Departments and a number of Inpatient Wards
  • An electronic device known as a PET (Patient Experience Tracker), available on Inpatient Wards, Emergency Departments and some Outpatient Departments
  • A Kiosk, which works in the same way as the PET but is much larger and secured to the floor, available mainly in  Outpatient Departments
  • On line www.cmft.nhs.uk/fft

If you are unsure as to how to access these options, complete the test or use the devices provided please ask a member of staff who will be happy to assist you.

What happens to the results?

We use your feedback to help us make changes and improvements to our services and the care we provide. Your feedback enables us to take immediate action when a problem is identified and shows how effective the change or improvement has been. It also provides a measure for you to compare us to other Trusts.

The results from the test are used within the Trust to provide us with a measure of patient satisfaction about the care and the services we deliver. The results are also published on the NHS Choices and NHS England websites.


You can tweet us @CMFTNHS. Please note that we cannot log official complaints through Twitter, please contact our PALS department if you wish to make a complaint.


We welcome any suggestion that will improve our services. Please speak to either the Ward Manager or Departmental Manager, contact the Patient Experience Department or the PALS Department.

Telephone: 0161 276 8686

Fax: 0161 276 4971/0161 901 1816

Email: pals@cmft.nhs.uk

You may also write to the Chief Executive:

Mike Deegan
The Chief Executive
Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust Headquarters
Cobbett House
Manchester Royal Infirmary
Oxford Road

M13 9WL.

Click here for a copy of the PALS leaflet

Click here for an easy read copy of the PALS leaflet.


We want to learn from your positive experiences as these will form an essential part of our ongoing evaluation of the patient experience at the Trust. It also gives you the opportunity to let the staff know that their care and professionalism have not gone unnoticed. You can share your experience by posting a comment within the 'feedback' section of the NHS Choices website, by e-mail or telephone to PALS, or by writing to the Chief Executive.

The NHS choices website address is: http://www.nhs.uk/pages/home.aspx

Concerns or Complaint?

It is very important that you let the staff involved know of your concerns or dissatisfaction as soon as possible. This will allow us to quickly put things right for you.

If you feel that you are not able to speak directly to a member of staff you can ask to speak to the person in charge, in any department or ward you are visiting.  Usually they can help resolve things for you. If not, they can advise and arrange further assistance.

We assure you that if you make a complaint, this will not compromise your care, or that of a member of your family.

If you don't want to speak directly to a member of staff - we can still help?

If you feel that you are not able to speak directly to a member of staff on the ward or department about your concern, you can:

Contact PALS

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) aims to advise and support patients, their families and carers with in complete confidence.

Our staff are here to help you and it is important for them to know if you have any suggestions or comments about the services you have received so they can take immediate action.

The team in the PALS department will:

  • Listen to your concerns about any services the hospital is providing for you or your family.
  • Provide information to patients, carers and families about NHS services and other sources of help such as Citizen's Advice Bureau.
  • Support you through an anxious time as a patient, relative, friend or visitor.
  • Help sort out any problems quickly by liaising with staff.
  • Support you in making your concerns heard.
  • Give a voice to patients' issues, influencing change at the hospital.

The PALS team also monitor any problems arising, identify any gaps in services and have reporting responsibilities to the Trust Board.

How to contact the PALS team:

Telephone: 0161 276 8686 or

E-mail: pals@cmft.nhs.uk

Click here for a copy of the PALS leaflet

Tell us Today

If you or the person you are calling about is an inpatient you can call our 'Tell us Today' dedicated telephone line (for Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester Royal Eye Hospital and Trafford General Hospital). 'Tell us Today' is an improvement project that provides you with access to a dedicated telephone service operated by a senior nurse or manager, who can listen to your concerns and put you in contact with a senior member of staff in the area of your concern within one hour.

If you are not happy with the outcome following discussion with PALS, they will be able to assist and guide you to make a formal complaint.

Want to make a complaint?

Our aims are that you will:

  • Feel confident to speak up.
  • We made it simple for you to make a complaint.
  • When you made your complaint you felt listened to an understood.
  • You felt that making your complaint made a difference.
  • You would be confident to make a complaint in future.

If your complaint cannot be resolved at the time, you may wish to make a formal complaint, either in writing, by email or by telephone. Normally this should be within 12 months of the events themselves or within 12 months of learning of the problem.

If you have difficulty in writing a complaint, the PALS team can advise you on how to do this and register your complaint for an investigation under the NHS Complaints Procedure.

What will happen next?

Once the Trust has received communication from you, we will send you a letter within three working days acknowledging your concerns and containing a summary of your complaint, giving you the opportunity to check your concerns have been correctly recorded. Your complaint will be investigated by the manager(s) of the department(s) involved.

We will do our best to find and agree a resolution with you about your complaint, which you find acceptable. You may prefer a meeting to talk about your concerns or a full investigation and a written response from the Chief Executive. We will do our best to arrange any of these or other possible options for you. We will also give you a named point of contact for any additional enquiries you may have that arise during the complaint process.

Want to complain on behalf of an adult?

If you wish to make a complaint on behalf of an adult, under normal circumstances we will require a signed and dated statement from that person giving us permission to investigate and to release information to you, which may be confidential to them. The PALS department has a consent form for this purpose.

Want to complain on behalf of a child?

If you wish to make a complaint on behalf of a child and you are not the parent(s) or legal guardian of the child, we will require a signed and dated letter of authority from the parent(s) or legal guardian. The PALS department has a consent form for this purpose.

Then how long will do I wait for an answer?

The Chief Executive of the Trust will send you a written response or offer a meeting with the relevant staff within the time period agreed between you and PALS, wherever possible. This will explain the outcome of the investigation, any action(s) already taken and plans for further actions.

If it is not possible to do this within the time period, the PALS Department will contact you, explain why, agree a timeframe with you that you can expect the response and ensure that you are contacted and updated regularly.

The outcome - What happens if I'm not happy with the response?

Every effort will be made to resolve your complaint. However, if we have tried all reasonable means of resolving your concerns and you remain dissatisfied, you can request an independent review by the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman. A leaflet 'Bringing a complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman' may help you. This explains what to do next and copies can be obtained by contacting the PALS Department or the Health Service Ombudsman direct.

If you don't want to speak directly to the PALS department?

Independent help is available: ICAS (Independent Complaints Advocacy Service) 0808 802 3000.

Independent Complaints Advocacy Services are totally independent from this organisation. They cannot investigate your complaint, but they can help make your complaint in writing, liaise with us on your behalf and attend meetings with you. Independent Complaints Advocacy is provided through your Local Authority; please contact your Local Authority's Customer Services Department for details of their advocacy service.

If you remain dissatisfied The Health Service Ombudsman can review your concerns

If you remain dissatisfied with our response to your concerns you may contact the Health Service Ombudsman's office to review your complaint.

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman can be contacted by completing their online form at: https://www.ombudsman.org.uk/making-complaint

Alternatively you can write to the PHSO at:

The Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman for England

13th Floor, Millbank Tower, Millbank, London. SW1P 4QP.

Helpline: 0345 015 4033

Textphone (Minicom): 0300 061 4298

Or email phso.enquiries@ombudsman.org.uk

Useful Contacts

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Adult Services

Telephone: 0161 276 8686

Fax: 0161 276 4971

E-mail: pals@cmft.nhs.uk

Website: www.cmft.nhs.uk

Trafford Hospitals

Telephone: 0161 746 2019

Or write to:

The Chief Executive,

Trust Headquarters,

Manchester Royal Infirmary,

Oxford Road,


M13 9WL.